Our Boats

A supplement to the  

Website and eBook by Cyril J Wood


A montage of the boats that we have owned




Misty Waters
Misty Waters 2
Total Eclipse


Return to





Even though I had been canal cruising for many years on boats hired by my parents and when they eventually bought their own boat "Phial" (see Canalscape Book One: Chapter 5 - A Small Glass Vessel),  I had never had a boat of my own. I had often thought that it would be great to have a boat of my own but, with a young family to bring up, a mortgage to pay plus a not particularly stable financial status, boat ownership was nothing but a pipe dream. We regularly visited my mother who, after retiring when my father died in 1978, spent her summers on "Phial" and even occasionally took the boat out for a cruise even venturing up the Llangollen Canal as far as Ellesmere on one occasion.

My parents' boat "Phial" seen here at Wharton Lock on its maiden voyage in April 1966

In 1982 my financial stability was assured when I gained employment at Bidston Steel... a steel mill in Birkenhead on the Wirral. The wages were superb even though I had to work shifts. After working there for a couple of years the opportunity to purchase my first boat presented itself. Mr Merral... the man who owned the land where "Phial" was moored, also owned Beeston Castle Wharf and Beeston Castle Cruisers. He had built the shell of a boat to supplement his hire fleet. The boat was never finished and I was offered it as a bare shell including a two cylinder, Lister, air cooled diesel engine for five hundred pounds. At the time I didn't have the time or money to fit-out a bare shell and the boat was eventually sold to someone who completed it and moored it further down the Shropshire Union Canal at Elton near Ellesmere Port.

Return to Contents


Misty Waters 1

On Thursday 18th August 1983, whilst visiting Mother and “Phial”, I saw Ken Docherty, the man that lived at “Stone Lock Cottage”, Beeston, towing a fiberglass cruiser on a trailer to his house. We were quite friendly with Ken and his wife, Caroline. She baked the most beautiful pies and preserves and sold them to boats as they passed through the lock. When we were purchasing one of these pies a couple of days later, I enquired about the boat. Knowing of my interest in boats, Ken told me that it was for sale and invited me around the rear of his cottage to have a look at it.

The boat was a “Mystral 20” four berth, glass-fibre canal cruiser, with a light green hull and white superstructure, christened “Crazy Horse”. It was powered by a Chrysler 11 horse power, two stroke outboard motor and was quite tidy inside with green PVC covering everything from the ceiling to the bunks. The boat needed some work though. The motor was suspect and I was told that the hull had Osmosis (a condition where the gelcoat… the outer layer of the glass-fibre, becomes porous). I was told that this condition could be easily remedied by rubbing down the hull, applying self-etch primer and a topcoat on top of it. What’s more, I could buy it as it stood for £500.

"Crazy Horse" when I first saw her

I iimmediately fell in love with the boat but not the name or the colour. So, after a family discussion, I decided to buy it. I asked Sid Merral if I could moor the boat below the Iron Lock and he said that I could. He also promised to build a new landing stage next to the slipway especially for me. On Wednesday 14th September 1983, we went to Beeston and paid Ken for the boat. Any spare time that we had over the next few weeks were spent rubbing down, painting the hull as previously described and changing the colour to white with a red water line. The name had to be changed and after another family conference, the name “Misty Waters” was decided on. The origin of the name was as follows… “Misty” after our dog and “Waters” after part of the name of one of my favorite wooden canal boats of all time, a “Taylor” called “Quiet Waters”. Once the name had been decided upon the boat was registered with BWB, the self-adhesive number plates ordered and the Licence obtained.

"Misty Waters" shortly after being launched

By Monday 26th September, “Misty Waters” was ready to be launched. The following Saturday, we took some friends to Beeston to help with the launch. All went well and there was no sign of water seeping into the bilge. Unfortunately, the outboard would not start so we pulled “Misty Waters” by rope to her new mooring below the Iron Lock. The following day, after an inspection and trouble-shooting session, I come to the conclusion that the engine was beyond repair. We went to Eggbridge Marine at Waverton where they had many second hand engines for sale, most of which were beyond our means. However, a Volvo Penta 140 caught my eye. This engine was very similar to “Phial’s” Crescent 18, being manufactured by the same company (Nymanbolagon AB, Uppsala, Sweden). As I was conversant with the Crescent and its workings, I thought that it would be suitable for our needs. Mister Smith, the owner of Eggbridge Marine, informed me that I could have it for £100. We settled on £70 and no guarantee with the defunct Chrysler outboard motor taken in part-exchange.

The Volvo was fitted to the boat and started first time. Unfortunately, the gears would not engage, so I removed the engine and took it home to investigate. On stripping down the gearbox, I discovered a worn pinion gear to be the problem. I ordered a new gear set and seals, etc. from Pilkington’s... the Volvo Penta/Crescent dealers in Manchester, which arrived a few days later. They were duly fitted and everything appeared to be in order. In the meantime, I had fitted a full-wave rectifier to the engine’s small alternator (originally designed to produce a couple of amps, 12 volts A. C. to power navigation lights) to convert it into a D. C. charging unit for the battery, rewired the electrical system on “Misty Waters” and added items like a tunnel light, horn, extra interior lights, 12 volt sockets, etc.

On Saturday 22nd October, the engine was fitted and worked perfectly so we decided to go for our first cruise. This was to Brockholes Aqueduct, where the River Gowy runs beneath the “Shroppie” between Beeston Castle and Tattenhall. We spent all night on board and even though she was a four berth cruiser, one of the berths was on the rear deck beneath the cockpit cover. This was not the most ideal of situations, especially as it was the end of October and quite cold. But sacrifices had to be made and one of them was my comfort. The following day, after I had thawed out, we cruised up to Bunbury before returning to our mooring.

The Volvo Penta 140 and transom guard fitted to "Misty Waters"

In the spring of 1984, when we inspected “Misty Waters”, I was relieved to discover that my treatment of the hull had been a complete success with no sign of moisture in the bilge. The engine was behaving as it should and all the modifications made were successful. One more addition was the fitting of a transom guard. I had it made by my friend... Tony Holmes, who was a welder at Bidston Steel where we both worked. A holder for a flagpole was incorporated in the design as was a rubber “bumper” which had (literally) fallen off the back of a lorry at work. The flagpole itself was a broken mop stale that I had rubbed down, varnished and fitted with brass hooks to attach a pennant to. Another friend... Malcolm Munro, who lives in our road, wound decorative rope around the tubular guard and we painted it white before it was fitted to the boat. When the guard was fitted, our Inland Waterways Association pennant was fastened to the flagpole and very smart it looked too. We were now ready for our first holiday on “Misty Waters”. And, needless to say, we planned to cruise up the Llangollen Canal.

The weather on this holiday was exceptionally warm, so I did not object to sleeping in the cockpit. The engine was proving to be extremely reliable, starting on the first turn of the key and showing little sign of fouling the sparking plugs. It was more economical than the Crescent 18 on “Phial” as it was slightly smaller being fourteen horsepower against eighteen and only had one carburetor compared to the Crescent’s two. It was also significantly lighter and quieter into the bargain. We spent many happy hours on "Misty Waters" and I have fond memories of the time I owned her.


Return to Contents


Misty Waters 2

In July 1985, I was made redundant from my job in a steel mill. With some of the redundancy money we decided to buy another boat. As Peter Smith at Eggbridge Marina had been so fair with us in the past, we decided to pay him a visit and see what he had on brokerage. One weekend in July we cruised down to Waverton in “Misty Waters” and saw a brown and beige Dawncraft Dandy he had for sale. The boat didn’t have an engine but I wasn’t too concerned about that as I could take the Volvo and its wiring loom off “Misty Waters” quite easily. We looked over the boat and decided to buy it provided that a suitable deal could be struck. After some haggling, we agreed on £1000 with “Misty Waters” taken in part-exchange and my swapping the engine over. The following weekend we cruised down to Waverton and after the formalities, I gave Peter a cheque for the required amount. We then transferred the engine and our belongings to the new boat before returning to our moorings at Beeston.

"Misty Waters 2" shortly after we bought her

As well as the engine, the name was also transferred. Even though technically, the new boat was “Misty Waters II” we dropped the “II” from the name. The new “Misty Waters” was a revelation. It had much more room than the old Mystral even though it was the same length. The layout was more sensible in its utilization of the available space, having two single bunks in “tunnels” (quarter berths as they are known) beneath the rear deck and a bed that was the whole width of the boat when an additional board and mattress was added in the centre. It boasted a larger water tank, a cooker with an oven and best of all... I didn’t have to sleep on the rear deck.Shortly after buying "Misty Waters 2" we left our Beeston mooring for a new mooring at Preston Brook Marina on the Bridgewater Canal... a move that was to change the course of my life for ever. But that is a story for another day. Over the next few years we made a few changes to the boat. It was repainted completely, re-wired, a CB radio and stereo cassette player installed, I fitted a movable timber cockpit roof to replace the ageing PVC canopy and even made room for a small photographic darkroom over the access to one of the tunnel bunks! The engine was starting to be problematic.

Whilst moving to Preston Brook we lost the forward gear shortly after passing through Preston Brook Tunnel and had to travel the last few hundred metres in reverse. The sparkplugs had started to oil up and even fitting hotter ones didn't solve the problem. The crunch came when we broke down in the middle of Harecastle Tunnel. Having to perform a spark plug change on a hot engine in almost complete darkness was not an exercise that I would like to repeat.. especially when I dropped one of the spark plugs into the water! On our return I borrowed "Phial's" Crescent Marin 18 until I found a suitable replacement. Whilst the Crescent was fitted I set an unofficial speed record for the fastest passage through Preston Brook Tunnel... seven and a quarter minutes! A friend knew someone who was selling a Volvo Penta 75 (a badge engineered Honda 7·5 really) Long Shaft for fifty pounds and I bought it. After a few modifications like fitting a full-wave rectifier to convert the alternator's current to DC for battery charging (as I had done on the Volvo Penta 140) it was fitted and ran really smoothly. Even though it was only seven and a half horsepower, half of the Volvo Penta 140 it gave a good turn of speed, being a four stroke engine, it did not require oil mixed in with the petrol and was more economical as well. A winner all round. We had many great holidays on "Misty Waters 2" completing the Four Counties Ring, venturing as far as Skipton on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and nearly to Liverpool in the opposite direction.

Misty Waters 2 with the timber rear cockpit roof fitted

My mother decided that she was becoming too old to spend her summers on "Phial". I was offered the boat but I was too wrapped-up with my own boat and was unsure if it would pass through the low tunnels on the Trent and Mersey Canal. Accordingly, the boat was sold complete with the mooring at Beeston. But there was trouble looming on the horizon in the shape of divorce. The financial pressures caused by this necessitated selling the boat in early 1990. It was a really hard decision to make and at the time I (and my children) was devastated but could see no other option as I was left with a lot of debt in the wake of the divorce. But, as my next door neighbour Ange (who was later to become my second wife) said... "You can always buy another boat once you are more financially stable". And she was correct!

Misty Waters 2 shortly before being sold


Return to Contents



With having so many friends and fond memories at Beeston, quite often, when out for a drive, we would find ourselves sitting on the balance beams of Beeston Iron Lock’s gates, visiting friends, remembering the happy times spent there and, not forgetting the oldest friend of them all… “Phial”. It was on such a visit during the summer of 1991 that we were shocked to discover “Phial” had been painted blue and white. The lovely honey coloured varnish had white and dark blue gloss slapped all over it, and what was worse, she looked dirty, tatty, unloved and unused.

"Phial" painted white

In late July 1992, on an evening drive to Beeston, we discovered a “for sale” sign in one of “Phial’s” windows. My youngest son, Glyn, ventured over to “Phial” and wrote down the telephone number on the sign. In the forty minutes it took to drive home, my children suggested that I bought “Phial”, cleared out our back yard, knocked down the back wall, arranged transportation for the boat and deposited her in the back yard. Once “Phial” was safely deposited in the back yard I could spend the next few years returning her to her former glory. I had to agree with them that the suggestion was a good one, and not only that, it stimulated my imagination. I had visions of restoring the boat, buying a cheap four wheel drive vehicle such as a Lada Niva, a trailer for “Phial” and visiting the Irish waterway network as well as some of the more isolated English, Welsh and Scottish waterways not connected to the main waterways system.

I rang the telephone number the following day and spoke to the owner, a Mister Ellis. I then made an offer of £500 for “Phial” which was accepted, but when I told the owner that my parents were the original owners of the boat, the price was lowered to £450. A week later, he dropped the keys in to me and the following day I went alone (purposely) to have a look inside. Accordingly, I traveled up to Beeston on my Honda motorcycle. When I arrived at Beeston and went inside “Phial” I was not prepared for what greeted me. The white paint was not confined to the outside of the boat. The varnish inside had also been daubed unsympathetically and mercilessly with the same white gloss paint as the exterior. A “sun roof” had been added, roof timbers replaced (none too expertly) and the whole of the gunwales had been sealed with dark blue fibreglass resin. Many other modifications had been made and the only one that I agreed with was the fitting of an electric fresh water pump and even the wiring for that was dodgy. Attempts had been made at re-wiring with cables dangling down from the ceiling. I sat down and I sobbed. I even talked to the boat, promising to restore her back to her former glory. It must sound stupid getting emotional about a boat, but when you can remember the boat as it was when it was new, remember the work that my father had put into it and have spent as many happy hours on board, then see it as it was at this point in time, it is sad to see what inexperienced hands are capable of. n my return home, my plans started to be formulated. The then British Waterways Certificate of Compliance Boat Standards were consulted. The only major modifications needed were the re-location of the gas bottles, fuel tank and batteries. The former two items would be located in “panniers” that I planned to make out of fibre glass and attach to the transom either side of the outboard motor, matching the hull profile. The battery would be contained in a sealed compartment that was vented through the hull. On August 16th 1992, I paid Mister Ellis the £450  and “Phial” was once more back in the family.

The awful white paint wasn't only in the outside

The following week the Crescent Marin 18 outboard motor was brought home and stored along with the bunk cushions that were now covered in a horrible blue PVC instead of the previous red velour. Some of the rubbish left behind by Mr Ellis and his family was also removed. In the meantime back home, the back yard was cleared and covered in PVC sheeting. Permission was obtained to cross the land behind the house and the back wall was knocked down. I also had to find somebody with a boat trailer and a vehicle powerful enough to pull it whilst loaded with a boat that weighed the best part of two tons. That Saturday evening I drove up to Moore near Daresbury to see if my old Bridgewater Canal friends Dave Reed or Alec Levac were having a drink in the Red Lion. I drove over the hump-backed bridge and looked to see if their boats were moored adjacent to the “Tramp’s Grave” (see “The Duke’s Cut”) and was pleased to see both of their boats there. I drove around the bend to the pub and found them in their usual corner. I explained about buying “Phial” and the need for a trailer. Dave gave me the telephone number of Phil from C. P. Marine at Preston Brook Marina who did boat transporting professionally. After a quick chat I bade my old friends farewell and promised to let them know how I got on.

The following day I rang the number that Dave gave me and made arrangements to transport “Phial” to Wallasey on 5th September by Phil from C. P. Marine. The plan was to slip “Phial” onto a trailer at the slipway below Beeston Iron Lock where “Misty Waters” was once moored. I borrowed the College minibus and took my children plus some friends to help with the operation. One of the people accompanying us was David Michelson... one of my students who documented the occasion photographically. Dave's son... Wayne Michelson is a photographer for a magazine specializing in Land Rovers and a Land Rover enthusiast himself. On our arrival at Beeston someone had parked a car across the entrance to the slipway, so an alternative site was found above the lock adjacent to “Phial’s” mooring where she was slipped out ten years earlier in 1982 to have the leaking keel bolt replaced. Eventually, she came out of the water and was lashed to the trailer before being towed to Wallasey behind Phil’s V8 engined Range Rover. Halfway through pulling “Phial” out of the water, my brother Jim arrived. Not having seen the boat for some years, he felt as I did and I could see tears in his eyes.

"Phial" being slipped onto the trailer

"Phial" being prepared for the journey to Wallasey...

...and whilst being transported

(Photograph - Dave Mitchelson)

Once “Phial” reached the land at the back of my house, the trailer was reversed into position and "Phial" slipped off onto rollers, over the foundations of the demolished wall and securely chocked into position on top of the thick PVC sheeting that I had laid in my back yard. After being paid, Phil then left us to our own devices. Cleaning and stripping started almost immediately. On lifting the floorboards, water was found in the bilge, but I suspected (correctly as I later discovered) that this was rainwater that had seeped in through an unsealed joint and via a rotten piece of timber at the back of the rear cabin.

"Phial" ensconced in my back yard

The only damage sustained in transit was to a thin piece of wooden beading which was removed from a joint between the rear cabin roof and sides. It had been glued in place with Polyfilla (yes... Polyfilla). Its accidental removal wasn't a problem as I planned to replace it anyway. Jim had followed us home, and after all our helpers had left, I asked him if he thought that Mum and Dad would have approved of what I’d done in bringing “Phial” home for restoration. He looked at me and, with another tear in his eye, said that they would have definitely approved. Now that the transportation was completed, the hard job of restoration could commence. The moss on hull was cleaned off and the interior of the boat stripped of all fittings in preparation for the removal of the white gloss paint covering the originally varnished interior. Most of the previous owner’s additions were removed and ended up in the bin. “Phial” was then “put to bed” being covered in her original, tailor-made tarpaulin cover to prevent any rainwater seeping in and help her dry out until the spring. Over the winter months I started to document the boat's history and my labours. The resulting work was entitled "The Phial Story" and with hindsight I can say that it was the foundation stones of what was much later to become the "Canalscape" website.

Phial's interior stripped of the awful white paint

I needed some advice concerning certain aspects of the woodwork, replacing certain parts and caulking joints so one Saturday I took a trip to J H Taylor's boatyard in Chester to pick David Jones' brain. When I arrived he was at lunch so I had a look around whilst I waited. Imagine my surprise when I came across a Marlin hull, stripped of its superstructure tucked away in a corner of the yard. It was useful to see as it gave indications as to how certain parts of the boat were constructed. When David came back from his lunch we had a long chat about boat restoration and Marlins in particular. He even had some of the glass fibre matting and epoxy resin that was originally used by Marlin Craft in the laying down of their hulls which he gave it to me.

The stripped Marlin hull tucked away in a corner of J H Taylor's Boatyard

Over the following months, timbers were replaced, the interior completely stripped of white paint and revarnished, the electrical wiring was replaced and new lights fitted, the water pipes replaced and an electrical water pump and tap fitted, the original flushing toilet had already been removed but the outlet pipe was still fitted. This was removed, the resulting aperture fibre-glassed and a new Portapotti installed in its place. After the winter months had passed, attention was focussed on the exterior. The "sun roof" was removed and replaced by a new sheet of marine ply that was actually thicker than the original, the gunwales were removed and re-timbered along with other suspect timbers.

One of the gunwale timbers removed

After this, painting and varnishing could commence. The paint used was two-pot polyurethane. White gloss for the cabin roofs and gunwales and red two-pack polyurethane for the hull beneath the waterline. take place. The remainder of the hull did not require painting, as it was white self-coloured fibreglass that only required cleaning with a proprietary GRP cleaner. The gelcoat was also checked for osmosis and found to be perfect. The cabin sides, however, had always been problematic. Remembering the Cerofex incident when “Phial” was new, I decided to experiment with different finishes over the winter. I cleaned and painted identical pieces of plywood with different varnishes and Sikkens Dutch wood oil. I soaked them in a bucket of water for a week, placed them in the freezer for a week, exposed them to direct sunlight for yet another week and allowed them to dry-out in the airing cupboard for yet another week. When the monthly cycle was finished it was repeated a couple of times. This abuse would indicate which finish would stand up to the elements best. Sikkens came out top and so the interior, cabin sides and other previously varnished details would be treated in this way.

Marine plywood "skin" treated with Sikkens attached to the original cabin side

The original Crescent Marin 18 outboard was tested and, as suspected, found to have numerous problems including the previously mentioned gearbox and cylinder compression problems. The engine was pronounced a write-off as the parts required were phenomenally expensive. For a proportion of the cost of the parts I would be able to buy a good second-hand Honda 100 or Volvo Penta four stroke outboard.

In 1995 additional financial problems started to loom. I was going to have to put my house on the market due to financial pressures caused by the divorce settlement. I would also have to sell Phial, as not many prospective buyers would take kindly to seeing a partially restored classic canal cruiser in the back yard. I placed an advertisement in the Liverpool Echo and had a few enquiries. One of these came from a man that wanted to buy the boat, move it to Northwich on the River Weaver, complete the restoration and live on it. He came and viewed the boat and agreed to but it provided that I arranged transportation to Northwich. Before this could happen arrangements had to be made for "Phial" to be removed from my back yard. Bungalows had been built behind my house since it was ensconced and a telegraph pole complete with phone lines prevented the boat from going out the way it went in. I arranged for a crane to lift the boat over the wall and telephone lines straight onto the transportation trailer prior to delivery.

"Phial" being craned out of my back yard to be transported to Northwich

(Photographs - Angela Wood)

Once these obstacles were overcome the trip to Northwich could commence. Once the boat was on the trailer we set off. It was a sad trip to Northwich and I found it difficult to hold back the tears as my dream of restoring my parents' beloved "Phial" dissolved. When we arrived at the boatyard where I had arranged to meet the new owner, we slipped "Phial" off the trailer onto wooden blocks and secured her. The sale transaction took place and I was paid the £500 asking price. I had obviously lost out on the deal as I had spent hundreds of pounds on the restoration. I said an emotional "good bye" to "Phial" and we returned to Wallasey.

A few months later, I returned to the boatyard to satisfy my curiosity as to how “Phial” had got on. She was in the same area that I had left her. The rear cabin roof had been removed and replaced by a tarpaulin cockpit cover. The windows had also been replaced with angular ones that did not compliment the line of the cabin, but a new engine had been fitted and she looked quite smart and ready to be launched. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me to record the on-going work. I wished her well but little did I know that I would never see her again. I often think about "Phial" and her ultimate fate. The plans that we made to relaunch her and even the possible purchase of a trailer in order to venture on the beautiful Irish and Scottish waterways or even over to Europe to sample the French canals such as the Canal du Midi and the Canal du Languedoc. But they were only pipe dreams and were not meant to be. The brief reunion with "Phial" filled an emotional need in my life at that particular time and the ironic part of it is that I didn't have to sell my house. A financial arrangement was made with my ex-wife and I rented it to my daughter who would have been more than happy to put up with a boat in her back yard for a while. I revisited the boatyard in Northwich where we delivered the boat to in 1994. Since then the boatyard had changed hands and the new owners had no knowledge of "Phial" or her whereabouts. Jim and I also visited various locations on the Weaver to try and track her down. Also, when friends were cruising the river I asked them to keep an eye out for her and I have since cruised the whole length... all to no avail. I can only presume that she has now been broken up. A sad fate for such a beautiful classic boat that held so many wonderful memories..

"Phial" as I like to remember her at Audlem in 1968


Return to Contents


Total Eclipse

In 2001 we started to look after "Cordelia"... my old canal cruising friend Dave Reid's Hancock and Lane Norseman S40 narrowboat that was moored on Runcorn BMBC's moorings at Walton. After looking after it for over a year or so Dave decided to sell it and gave us first refusal. We eventually bought it for £11000 after a lot of indecision from Dave. When the deal was eventually completed we changed the name to "Total Eclipse" and obtained a mooring with Lymm Cruising Club at Oughtrington. I will not go into any detail here regarding "Total Eclipse" or how we came to own her as she has her own section on this website and it would be superfluous to duplicate her story. So to whet your appetite, below is a photograph of her at Ellesemere on the Llangollen Canal taken in 2005.

"Total Eclipse" at Ellesmere on the Llangollen Canal


Return to Contents



In 2013 "Total Eclipse" was becoming unreliable and starting to show her age. Whilst on holiday we came across a boat on brokerage at Midway Boats, Barbridge Junction. After a few negotiations we were lucky enough to buy the boat formally called "Gill"... a forty five foot, Liverpool Boat Company, cruiser stern narrowboat which we bought in August 2013 and changed her name to "Squirrel". As with "Total Eclipse" (above) I will not go into any detail regarding "Squirrel" or how we came to own her here as she also has her own section on this website and it too would be superfluous to duplicate her story here. Below is a photograph of her taken at her Agden mooring on the Bridgewater Canal in 2017.

"Squirrel" at her Agden mooring in 2017



I hope that you have enjoyed reading about the various boats that we have owned over the last forty five years or so. We do not envisage swapping "Squirrel" and it is most probably the last boat we shall own, unless we are lucky enough to have a lottery win that is. Not that we haven't been tempted though and visiting the Crick Boat Show, seeing the latest craft on display doesn't help either! Boat ownership is an expensive hobby and, as mentioned in "So You Want To Go Canal Cruising", you can throw fifty pound notes at a boat... and they don't stick. But, having said that, if you are careful and give the boat regular painting and maintenance it will last many years and the pleasure that they provide can not be measured by money alone. We have tried to keep our boats up to date. Squirrel has everything that you would expect... 240 volt mains electricity from mains hook-up as well as from an in-built inverter, solar panel, microwave oven and even Wi-fi to name but a few hi-tech features. No doubt we will add more when we deem them necessary.


Return to Contents



Click here for the latest entries or on the required section in the Contents below to follow links

So You Want To Go Canal Cruising?

 Book 1 - 1959 to 1982

 Book 2 - 1983 to 1999

 Book 3 - 2000 to 2005

 Book 4 - 2006 to 2007

 Book 5 - 2008 to 2009

 Book 6 - 2010

 Book 7 - 2011

 Book 8 - 2012

 Book 9 - 2013

 Book 10 - 2014

 Book 11 - 2015

 Book 12 - 2016
 Book 13 - 2017
 Book 14 - 2018
 Book 15 - 2019
 Book 16 - 2020
nb Squirrel
Canals on Screen
Photography Introduction
Photographic Experiences

Canalscape Gallery

Diarama Gallery

Photography in One

The History of Lymm Cruising Club

The Duke's Cut - The Bridgewater Canal

The Big Ditch - Manchester's Ship Canal

Shroppie - The Shropshire Union Canal System

The Manchester and Salford Junction Canal

Mersey Connections

Wonders of the Waterways

2011 Gardner Engine Rally Report

Foreign Forays - Canals of the World

Worsley Canal Heritage Walk

Castlefield Canal Heritage Walk

The Liverpool Docks Link

nb Total Eclipse

Don't Call it a Barge

Canis Canalus

Footnote and Acknowledgements

Site Map
Go to the
e-mail link - cyril.wood@virgin.net


"Canalscape" and "Diarama" names and logo are copyright

Updated 10/04/2020