Book 16

Canal Cruising 2020

An e-Book and website by Cyril J Wood


The title photograph shows an almost symmetrical reflection of Thomason's Bridge on the Bridgewater Canal near Moore


Chapter 1 - Canalmanac 2020 Part 1


Chapter 2 - Summer Cruise 2020


Chapter 3 - Canalmanac 2020 Part 2

  Chapter 4 - Autumn Cruise
  Chapter 5 Canalmanac 2020 Part 3

Canalography 2020


Return to Introduction


Chapter 1 - Canalmanac 2020 Part 1


We wish you a Happy New Year and welcome to Canalscape Book 16. Both Ange and I were ill with coughs and colds over the Christmas period but, even though we were a little under the weather we still managed to have a good time. The first weekend in January promised to be a busy week regarding Lymm Cruising Club. Accordingly, I arranged to take Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off work and we asked Harbourmaster Phil Savage if we could leave the boat at Lymm for a few days (to which he said yes) and brought it down to Lymm from our Agden mooring on the Saturday morning and moored it in the slipway.

nb Squirrel moored in the slipway at Lymm CC

That evening it was the Lymm CC Committee Meal and we all went to Lymm Spice Indian Restaurant at the allotted time. The food was lovely but the location has issues with space (or the lack of it) and noise (in excess) from other diners both young and more mature who should have known better. I found this especially annoying due to temporary hearing loss brought about by infection. But the deficiencies in the restaurant didn't detract from the evening which was enjoyed by everyone. We were told not to order desert by our Social Secretary Ken Powell as he had already sorted it so we returned to the Clubhouse where we enjoyed our desert followed by coffee and accompanied by good conversation as we could now actually hear each other!

Lymm CC Committee Meal at Lymm Spice and later in the Clubhouse

The next day we were back in the Clubhouse for breakfast after which we helped to take down the Christmas decorations before going to Paul and Wendy Savage's house in Sankey Bridges. We had a lovely time with our friends, exchanging presents and catching up on the latest news before having a lovely meal and heading back to Lymm. Monday we had visitors from home in the shape of Ange's son Michael, his girlfriend Amy and their Brussels Griffon dog Yoda. We all went to Ye Olde Number Three at Little Bollington for lunch which was most enjoyable then headed back to the boat. We said farewell to our visitors and got ready for the Lymm CC Committee Meeting that evening. It was the last Committee Meeting before the AGM in February so a few loose ends had to be tied-up just in case the Committee changed (which we hoped it doesn't). Tuesday we had the luxury of a lie-in till midday (I did get up with Ruby early, gave her breakfast after which she decided to go back to bed). That evening it was the Lymm CC January Monthly Meeting and Ange wanted to prepare her Quartermaster's Shop as she had a few new and exciting additions to the stock.

Ange's Quartermaster's Shop

We didn't leave the Clubhouse until late after the meeting was over and were grateful of our lie-in that morning. Wednesday we planned to do a few jobs on the boat, pack our things into the car, take the boat back to its mooring and return to Lymm by car that evening for the FBCC (Federation of Bridgewater Cruising Clubs) meeting when the FBCC Runcorn Rally Application Forms were being distributed. Accordingly, we checked and emptied the food cupboards of out and near-dated food, cleaned the boat, took home any unnecessary items, emptied the toilet and water tank ready for the hard weather expected in January and February. With the boat back on its mooring we had our tea and made our way back to the Clubhouse by car. We filled-in ours and Paul's forms and handed them in complete with payment then headed for home after a busy few days that were non-the-less rewarding.

The next couple of weeks were spent preparing the latest edition of Lymm CC's Slipway magazine as well as preparing Brian Burns... the Club's 2020 Commodore's Cruising Programme and a condensed version on a foldable bookmark for the printer. On the day that I was due to collect the work from the printer we were experiencing fog and mist. With living close to the River Mersey this weather presents a unique photographic opportunity in the shape of low cloud over the river with the Liverpool skyline poking through the mist. Needless to say this weather phenomenon just had to be captured photographically and is included below.

A screenshot of the Granada TV Weather Forecast using my Misty Mersey photograph...

...and the original un-cropped photograph

The resulting photographs were screaming out to be used as weather photographs and what I consider to be the best was sent to Granada Television to use as a weather photograph. However, in my opinion, the original, un-cropped photograph looks better.

Tuesday the 5th February 2020 saw Lymm CC's AGM and we arrived at the Clubhouse early so that Ange could attend to a couple of her Quartermaster's duties prior to the meeting. With being early it also ensured that we had good seats as well. During the meeting we were confirmed as being on the Club's Committee as our respective Quartermaster and Magazine/Website Editor roles. We also paid for our mooring and Club fees to Jack Kershaw... the Club's Treasurer, at the same time. The following evening was the first Committee Meeting of the season when we had a most productive meeting (if a little long) before heading for home.

Every New Year Paul Savage and myself have a "Boys' Day Out" to a location that is something to do with canals. This year our "Boys' Day Out" had to wait due to various reasons. The ideal opportunity presented itself when Ange was invited to Wendy Savage's daughter's baby shower. After dropping Ange off at Paul and Wendy's house, Paul, Ruby and I jumped into the car and went to Longdon on Tern. Many of you will know that this is the location of Thomas Telford's Pontcysyllte Aqueduct prototype which carries the Shrewsbury Canal over the River Tern. Telford's aqueduct replaced the original masonry aqueduct, built by Josiah Clewes, which was washed away in a flood caused by a storm nearly two hundred and twenty five years ago to the day. Telford was approached to replace the aqueduct and the replacement is the one that we went to see. It is the oldest remaining cast iron aqueduct in existence and is still in extremely good condition, only being pre-dated by a few days by a now demolished aqueduct on the Derby Canal. The Shrewsbury Canal has, unfortunately, been filled-in and, besides the aqueduct, only the mound which indicated its course can be seen. For more information regarding the Longdon on Tern Aqueduct follow this link to - Chapter 8 - The Shrewsbury Canal and Longdon on Tern.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct prototype at Longdon on Tern

The aqueduct's beautiful cast iron trough...

...and the towpath alongside it which is similar in construction to the later Edstone Aqueduct on the Stratford on Avon Canal

Paul standing next to the aqueduct

After our visit to Longdon on Tern we went to Norbury Junction where we visited the café there to replenish our stomachs. No visit to the Norbury Junction café  would be complete without also visiting the canal shop and boat chandlery there. Unfortunately, there was nothing there that required our wallets to come out so we went outside to take a couple of photographs of the area. It was dull and overcast with a storm promised and we hoped that the next time we visited Norbury (hopefully on our 2020 Summer Holiday Cruise) the weather was better than it was today. With the photographs taken I set the Tom-Tom sat nav and we made our way home after an extremely pleasant day out.

A couple of photographs of Norbury Junction on a dull, overcast, winter's day

Ange gave me a surprise Valentine's Day present in the shape of a stained glass canal scene of a narrowboat crossing an aqueduct. She must have bought it last year but managed to keep it hidden from me all this time... most impressive ("but you are not a Jedi yet"). It will take pride of place on nb Squirrel when it is hung on the lounge wall.

Stained glass canal scene of a narrowboat crossing an aqueduct

The following weekend it was Lymm CC's Valentine's Social. We planned to stay on the boat and when we arrived we were relieved that Hurricane Ciara had not done any damage to the boat although our love seat and table on the moorings had been blown about a bit. Thanks to our Mooring Officer Alan Savage had righted it and put it next to the fence. Unfortunately, the Club's Oughtrington moorings didn't get away that lightly as a tree had blown over from the adjacent field and very nearly damaged a couple of the boats in the process An emergency work party removed the branches and plan to remove the offending tree in the near future.

Fallen tree at Lymm CC's Oughtrington Moorings...

(Photograph - Simon Ryder)

...and the emergency work party to remove it

(Photograph - Ken Powell)

The Valentine's Social was a great success... good company, good food and good entertainment courtesy of our resident MC... Danny Abbott. After the social we returned to the boat and were rocked to sleep by another Hurricane in the shape of Dennis. Later that week I received a message from one of my Facebook friends... Norman Pimlot who had very kindly sent me a photograph of the boat on its mooring at Agden taken from the towpath... thanks Norman. Another of his photographs is used on the front cover of Lymm CC's monthly magazine... "Slipway".

nb Squirrel on its Agden mooring

(Photograph - Norman Pimlot)

Another of Norman Pimlot's photographs on the front cover of the Slipway magazine

At the Lymm CC Monthly Meeting Ange was presented with the Canalscape Trophy by me for her photograph of a cow crossing an accommodation bridge on the Llangollen Canal near Whitchurch. The photograph, called "Nosy Cow", also won the Humorous Section of Lymm CC Chairman's Photographic Competition and is included below for the readers' appreciation.

Me presenting Ange with the Canalscape Trophy for...

(Photograph - Paul Savage)

..her photograph entitled "Nosy Cow"

(Photograph - Angela Wood)

That weekend was Lymm CC's Opening Cruise... the first official cruise of the 2020 boating season. The cruise was preceded by the Opening Cruise Dance but, due to Ange not being well we were not able to attend. The following day, I drove up to Lymm alone to take photographs of the proceedings. All together, forty two boats attended the cruise to Grappenhall which was a great turn-out for a cold, overcast day.

Forty two boats attended the 2020 Lymm CC Opening Cruise to Grappenhall

In the days following the Opening Cruise, the country was thrown into the grip of Corona Virus (Covid 19). Subsequently, as well as Ange and I being told to socially distance ourselves by our respective employers, all Lymm CC cruises, meetings and social events were cancelled for the foreseeable future. The FBCC Rally to be held at Runcorn in May was postponed until 2021 (although the Rally Raffle, which is date sensitive, will still go ahead with the winners notified accordingly) and the Crick Boat Show was postponed until later on in the year. Initially, we thought that the best way to socially distance ourselves would be to stay on the boat for a while... away from everyone. Well... that was the plan before the Government told everyone not to travel unnecessarily and the journey to our mooring would be deemed as unnecessary. So it looks as if this will, unfortunately, be the last entry on Canalscape for a while. No Easter Cruise, no boating weekends for the foreseeable future either. Let's hope that it is all over by the time our Summer Cruise is reached. In the meantime, there will be the latest information posted on Lymm CC's website ( or, if you are suffering from canal withdrawal symptoms, you can always look at the photographs in the Canalscape Gallery page or go back to the Canalscape Contents page and visit another section of the website. To whet your appetite, I have included a photograph of Gronwen on the Montgomery Canal taken on a beautiful, magical day during our 2019 Holiday Cruise.

A wonderful memory from last year to keep us going - Gronwen on the Montgomery Canal

But for now, our beautiful narrowboat will just have to slumber for a little while longer and I will have to concentrate on my other writing projects such as "Mersey Connections... Navigable Docks and Waterways Connected to the River Mersey", "Canalscape... The Book" and "Lifescape... The Autobiography of an Anorak". So hopefully, we will see you again soon at the other side of the Corona Virus (Covid 19) lock-down.

Just as I thought that canal interests were on the back-burner there was an entry on the Unlock Runcorn Facebook Page showing how work was progressing at Waterloo Bridge in Runcorn. The concrete bridge just behind Waterloo Bridge carrying the old Jubilee Suspension Bridge approach road has now been demolished and the northern side of Waterloo Bridge exposed for the first time in sixty years. Below is a map, from the on-line version of my book "The Duke's Cut - The Bridgewater Canal" of the proposed canal route and a couple of photographs taken by Unlock Runcorn Supporter... Carol Patricia to whom I am grateful for allowing me to reproduce her fascinating photographs here. It is interesting to note that on the computer generated plan of the proposed restoration there is not only a boat lift proposed but, in a nod to the original old line of locks... a two-step staircase lock and an inclined plane as well.

Computer generated plan of the proposed restoration of the Bridgewater Canal at Runcorn

Let's hope that the development goes ahead and doesn't fall by the wayside in the same way that other canal restoration projects have. Further details can be found on the Unlock Runcorn website. Fellow Lymm CC member Paul Entwistle (who also operates the "Water Womble" canal cleaning boat) also sent me a photograph of Waterloo Bridge but from the canal side, which is also included below. Based on the information and computer generated plan provided by Unlock Runcorn I produced my own map to add to the web version and third edition of "The Duke's Cut - The Bridgewater Canal".

Waterloo Bridge showing the view through the arches

(Photograph - Paul Entwistle)

My map of the proposed restoration of the Bridgewater Canal route to the Manchester Ship Canal

Waterloo Bridge revealed

(Photographs - Carol Plumpton-Walsh - Unlock Runcorn Supporter)

Later that week I heard reports of a fire at Lymm CC's Agden moorings. It is thought that a discarded cigarette end from a passing motorist had started the fire when it landed in a clump of dried-out fern fonds adjacent to our moorings boundary fence. A dinghy, storage box and some equipment belonging to one of the moorers along with a mains electricity hook-up post and part of the boundary fence were damaged.

The location of the Agden Moorings fire...

...the damaged mains electricity hook-up post...

...and the burnt out dinghy, storage box, etc.

Mooring Officer Alan Savage assured us that the fire was well away from our boat but that didn't stop us from worrying and when the Government announced that they were relaxing the regulations regarding travelling to remote locations for exercise provided that the duration of the exercise exceeded that of the journey, they provided us with the justification to drive up to our mooring to help with the remedial work. We didn't think that we were contravening the Government's Lock-down Regulations as we were travelling in our own car and on arrival we were keeping socially distanced from anyone else on the moorings. Realistically speaking, we were less at risk here than going to a supermarket where many shoppers have no perception of spatial awareness. We arrived at Agden just as the work party finished but it seemed silly to waste the journey and such a beautiful day, so we brought the boat up to the water point, filled the water tank, had lunch then took the boat back to our mooring and started to wash, T-cut and polish one side of the boat with Auto Glym Resin Polish. The difference this process makes is quite dramatic.

Before and after polishing...

...and one side finished

We had a visit from Jo Clarke who is a senior nurse in a Covid 19 ward at a Manchester hospital. Jo told us that she was a "Covid time bomb" just waiting to go off. Consequently, she is living on her boat during the current crisis to minimise infecting her family. Ange had been knitting medical mask ear protectors and gave Jo the ones she had knitted. We later heard that Jo was really pleased with Ange's mask ear protectors and having someone to chat to made her weekend appear more normal. These small acts made our journey worth while and we felt as though we had done a little bit of good for our Lymm CC NHS heroine. I completed my cleaning and polishing one side of the boat. Later on we had visitors in the shape of our cruising companions Paul and Wendy Savage who were later joined by Paul's Aunt and Uncle... Alan and Lin Savage (all observing social distancing).

Having a socially distanced cuppa at Agden

Whilst having a socially distanced cuppa in the beautiful sunshine we chatted and caught up with everyone's news. As we sat there we were entertained by a duckling balancing on Squirrel's rudder. I took the photograph of it shown below and christened it the rudder (not rubber) duckling!

Rudder Duckling

We left for home at tea time but I planned to return the next day to finish the job weather permitting. The following morning dawned bright and sunny so I left home just after eight am and arrived at Agden just before nine. After a quick cup of coffee I started work. I planned to clean the roof first but, due to a mal-functioning Kärcher jet washer I only managed to clean one quarter of it. Consequently, I could not complete everything I wanted to (such as jet washing the non-slip surface on the roof and gunwales) but did manage to turn the boat around and wash the dirty side. Unfortunately, the water and detergent was evaporating as soon as it was applied because the sun was then shining on the side being cleaned. This caused problems with streaking due to the dark green paintwork absorbing the sun's heat and making the steelwork hot to the touch. Completion of this and the other jobs will just have to wait until a later date. As well as the mal-functioning Kärcher, I took home the small wooden table from the foredeck to clean and revarnish along with our flagstaff for replacement after being damaged in a lock. Ange was working from home and needed the car to check on her mum when she logged-off so I left in good time and breezed down a virtually deserted M56 and M53 motorways... quite a difference from the traffic normally encountered at this time of the day. Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long before the Government relaxes more restrictions and our lives can revert to some semblance of normality. With any luck this will be before our Summer Holiday Cruise at the end of June.

The next day I tackled the Kärcher. Having looked at a couple of jet washer maintenance websites I decided to flush it out. rather than start stripping it down. I connected the garden hose to the unit, turned on the tap and let it run for fifteen minutes. At first the water coming out of the high pressure pipe connection port was discoloured with what appeared to be silt. After a while it ran clear so I decided to try it and it worked perfectly. Next, I tried it with the scavenge pipe immersed in a bucket of water. This worked satisfactorily also... mission accomplished then! I will have to think of a way to immerse the scavenge pipe in the canal but keeping it well away from the silt at the sides and bottom of the canal. With this job finished I turned my attention to varnishing the table and flagstaff. Fortunately, the fabulous weather we were experiencing allowed me to set up my Black and Decker Workmate in the back garden and clamp the flagstaff in its jaws after giving it a quick rub down with fine sandpaper. Four coats of varnish later I was satisfied with the results. In between varnishing the coats on the flagstaff I varnished the folding table as well. The darker colouring looking much better than the light pine of the original table colour and both items were stored awaiting being taken up to the boat.

On the 10th May 2020, the Government announced further relaxation of the travelling for exercise rules as from Wednesday the 13th May 2020. These rules were quickly followed by announcements from the Canal and River Trust (see below) informing boaters that they can visit their boats, observing social distancing, but only undertake journeys of an essential nature.

Coronavirus & boating update, 12 May 2020

The Government has now set out some detail about the first stages of easing the current Coronavirus lockdown. These first steps come in to force tomorrow (Weds 13 May).

With a view to boating, your two main questions are likely to be: Can I visit my boat? And, can I go for a cruise on my boat? These are both covered below.

Can I visit my boat?
The latest government guidance states that ‘Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted… irrespective of distance. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.’

Our interpretation of this is that you can now visit your boat – provided both you and your boat are in England. Clearly you will have to confirm that your mooring provider has opened the site where your boat is moored and that you can access it safely. Alternatively, they may be able to carry out checks on your behalf if they are continuing to restrict access.

In Wales, separate rules apply which mean you cannot visit your boat.

Overnight stays are not permitted. Hence the Trust advises against travelling long distances to visit your boat.

Can I go out on my boat for a cruise?
No. Boat movement is currently restricted; only those living on their boat can make short essential trips to facilities or services – as set out on our website.

We are currently reviewing when navigation might re-open, in conjunction with other navigation authorities, and hope to make a further announcement over the next few days about our plans for reopening canals and rivers for navigation.

As always, please follow the latest Government’s advice.

We are constantly reviewing our own guidance in light of Government updates so do please regularly check our website.

Best wishes, stay safe,
Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

The Bridgewater Canal Company usually follows C&RT's lead after a day or so, but the relaxation of the Government's lockdown rules is all that I needed to place everything I planned to take up to the boat in the hall ready to be loaded in the car and taken up to Agden the next day. Ange was working from home so I loaded the car and set off for Agden at 8.00am. It was a beautiful day and I whizzed up the M53 and M56 motorways, arriving at our mooring by 9.00am. Everything was taken down to the boat and after a quick cup of coffee I turned the boat around and started to power-wash the roof. Once this was completed I washed the paintwork on the port-side of the cabin, T-Cutted it and started to polish after lunch. I have learnt that the best way to apply the polish is to have a small amount of polish on a piece of stockinet and apply to a small part of the paintwork in a circular movement. his is immediately wiped off with a micro fibre cloth then polished with a clean duster to prevent any streaks. This took most of the afternoon and when completed I was most satisfied with the results.

Shiny nb Squirrel on her mooring

After my exertions I was tired, my back was aching and I was ready for a sit down, tea, a relaxing evening and was even presented with a beautiful sunset that evening that was just crying out to be photographed.

Glorious Agden sunset from our mooring

The next morning I checked the results of my efforts and after a second polish turned the boat around to its normal orientation. As the boat turned I was horrified to discover that the water from washing the roof had put streaky lines down the paintwork that I polished a couple of weeks previously. I started to polish the streaks out but, by this time, the sun had moved around and had heated up the paintwork to such an extent that it was impossible to polish without adding even more streaks so abandoned the job for the day. Mooring Officer Alan Savage was cutting the grass on the moorings and asked me to help him with a couple of jobs which I did before we had a cuppa.

Alan Savage and Woodsey cutting the grass on the moorings

I then did a couple of jobs inside the boat including fitting wooden trims to the central heating radiator pipes and checking that our new flagstaff fitted in the holder. It was then time to put everything away, wash the dishes and tidy-up ready to go home after a rewarding (mostly) couple of days. Sure enough... the Bridgewater Canal Company sent their latest Covid-19 announcement that day although I had already heard of it via the Bridgewater Canal Users' page on Facebook. This is the light at the end of the Covid-19 tunnel for canal boating and signalled the start of a return to normality as far as canal cruising is concerned.

We travelled to Agden on Saturday lunchtime. When we arrived the boat's paintwork was too hot for cleaning and polishing so I planned to do that early next morning. After having a catch-up with Lin and Alan Savage we chilled out for the rest of what was a beautiful day. As the light was good I took some photographs of our mooring which I have included below. The first photograph shows the farm and fields adjacent to the moorings. It is a pity that in a few years the farm might be demolished and the view obstructed by the proposed HS2 viaduct that might be cutting a swathe across the landscape at this location. Apparently, there will be minimal disruption to our moorings when the high-level viaduct is constructed.

A panoramic view of the rolling countryside adjacent to our mooring

Looking east down our moorings towards Agden Bridge

Next morning I started my jobs early, before the sun came around and heated up the port-side of the cabin paintwork. Two hours and a cup of coffee later I had finished the job and was very pleased with the results. We chilled out for the rest of the day and set off for home at tea-time safe in the knowledge that I had accomplished what I set out to complete.

Mission accomplished... both sides of nb Squirrel cleaned and polished

The Bank Holiday weekend we journeyed up to Agden ready to do some more jobs. I sanded down and re-varnished the lounge window surrounds as well as Brassowing the curtain poles and fittings just in time for Wendy and Paul Savage arriving with our new bunk mattresses, cushions, curtains and matching roller blinds plus a beautiful picture of a squirrel that Wendy had made for us. Everything was fitted and the unwanted items put in the car to go home. In addition to this I pulled up the original green carpet in readiness for the wood grained vinyl planking that we planned to fit.

New mattress covers, cushions, curtains, blinds and squirrel picture on the wall

Agden at dusk from the side doors

We had been discussing the possibility of converting the two single beds in the aft cabin to a double bed. Accordingly, I made plans and took measurements and photographs. To maximise the available storage space, we plan to have the base that the mattress will sit on raise with assistance from a pair of gas-filled struts, similar to something that we saw at the Crick Boat Show last year. When we arrived home I did some detective work and found the supplier of the gas-filled struts and I contacted them for further information. They replied almost immediately with the information that I required and ordered them. I plan to do the conversion after our summer cruise. For more details follow this link to Future Plans on nb Squirrel's webpage.

The good weather continued the following weekend and we journeyed up to Agden with the car loaded with some of the packs of floor covering planks. I decided to try and start laying the planks in what I considered to be the most seen area... the lounge seating. I also considered this to be one of the most difficult areas and managed to lay one complete pack of planks.

Laying the new floor covering in progress

With it being so hot I decided to lay the flooring in small batches and planned to return later in the week to continue the process. Needless to say, we were presented with yet another beautiful sunset and it would be a shame to let it go without being captured by the Leica.

Another Agden sunset

Due to Ange being unwell I did not return in the week but the next weekend the flooring laying continued. In addition to completing the lobby area adjacent to the steps leading to the foredeck, the lounge was completed and the kitchen nearly completed. Needless to say... back ache ensued! No photographs I am afraid... you will just have to wait until it is completed but I planned to come up later in the week to do some more. In between laying the flooring, one narrowboat that passed was being steered by my old friend Alan Thompson. I first met Alan in 1986 at BMBC, Runcorn when he was airing his sleeping bags on the roof of his beautiful Morgan Giles GRP cruiser... Morgan Mariner. It was then that he quoted the saying that has been engraved in our memories informing everyone present that he was "letting the farts out!"

Grey-themed kitchen

I returned to Agden mid-week to replace the red microwave oven, kitchen storage jars and breadbin as well as to continue laying the new floor covering. After some "challenging" areas and the aft cabin the flooring was completed the following day. I was very pleased with the end result although there were a couple of planks that required some remedial work.

Cruising through Agden at sunset

The remedial work was completed at the weekend along with filling the boat's fresh water tank and cruising down to Lymm to empty the toilet. I asked Phil Savage to replace the centre fairleads with a new pair that I had purchased. The original ones were of the type fitted to the bow and proved to be unsuitable at the centre of the boat.

Phil replacing the old centre fairleads

I had previously made a start doing what, on the surface of it, appeared to be a straightforward job but ended up breaking three drill bits in the process... such is the hardness of the steel used when the boat was built. Whilst Phil was doing the job he only broke one! Instead of using self-tapping screws Phil tapped a thread into the holes so that ordinary brass screws could be used. With the jobs completed Ange and I went from one end of the boat to the other removing items that would not be required on our summer cruise and putting them in the car to be taken home. With this done the boat was returned to its mooring and we went home. I planned to pop-up during the week to bring our clothes and the non-perishable food.


To be continued in Canalmanac 2020 Part 2


Click to return to Contents


Chapter 2 - Summer Cruise 2020

2020 is the 60th anniversary of my first canal holiday and after much deliberation we decided that, for our 2020 Summer Cruise, to partially retrace our 1960 route by going up the Shroppie, turning right at Autherley Junction onto the Staffs and Worcs Canal to Wolverhampton (see Canalscape Book One - Chapter Two, 1960 First Holiday). After Wolverhampton we would deviate from our first holiday route and head down the Staffs and Worcs Canal, past Bratch, Kinver and Kidderminster to Stourport on Severn. We might even venture onto the River Severn, time and river levels allowing.

But that was before the Covid-10 Corona Virus outbreak. Wendy and Paul would not be joining us now for various reasons. As previously mentioned, we had originally planned to cruise down to Stourport but, with the canal system only just being opened up after a considerable period of dormancy, there may be maintenance issues that require emergency stoppages. This would not be much of a problem for me as I am currently furloughed, but it would for Ange who would have to return to work… even though it was from home. Bearing this in mind, we decided to keep our cruising range reasonably local… Northwich, Middlewich, maybe Nantwich, Beeston, Chester, etc.

We had been up in the week prior to the start of our holiday cruise to bring up clothes and non-perishable food, etc. We set-off for Agden on Friday lunchtime. We arrived early as a surprise party had been planned for Lin and Alan Savage's Golden Wedding Anniversary. The party was well attended by Club members... with the visits at staggered times and all respecting social distancing... naturally. We were having visitors the next day. As we would be away on Father's Day, Michael wanted to come up with my card and presents but could only manage Saturday afternoon so we delayed our departure and waited for him and his girlfriend Amy to arrive. After a catch-up the card and presents were given to me and we ordered our tea from The Wheatsheaf at Agden as a take-away... and very nice it was too. When our visitors left we had a cuppa with Lin and Alan Savage then went to bed ready for an early start the following morning.

Lin and Alan's socially spaced anniversary tea

We set off next morning and as I untied our mooring ropes I saw Lin Savage walking down the mooring waving us off. Little did I know that she was actually bringing some wool for Ange. We stopped at Lymm CC's Clubhouse to empty the toilet and rubbish bag before carrying on. The weather was brilliant and we had lunch on the go. Ange had a message from my daughter Lisa who wanted to meet up at Preston Brook Tunnel to give me my Father's Day card and presents so we cruised for longer than we would normally. At Walton we briefly saw my youngest son Glyn with his family along with his mother and her boyfriend leaving their boat's mooring, but, as we were working to a schedule, we didn't stop. We made good time and it wasn't long before we were entering Preston Brook Tunnel. Twelve minutes later, on exiting the tunnel we saw Lisa's boat Adeline waiting for us in the tunnel approach. After a quick catch-up and giving me my Father's Day presents Lisa set-off through the tunnel to her mooring at Top Locks, Runcorn.

Father's Day cards and presents... mmmmm!

After waving goodbye to Lisa we set off through Dutton Stop Lock and headed for the Dutton Breach Moorings were we planned to stay for the night. After tea we relaxed in the brilliant, evening sunshine then went to bed after a busy but very pleasant start to our 2020 Holiday Cruise.

We planned to cruise short days... a few hours should be enough to keep the batteries topped-up and the water hot. Accordingly, after breakfast we set off the very pleasant Vale Royal section of the Trent and Mersey Canal which is a good example of James Brindley's contour canal construction technique, clinging to the valley sides. At Anderton, we found a mooring next to the ice cream boat and, as it was another hot day, took advantage of them by purchasing a Cornetto each.

Anderton on a pleasant June afternoon

The hot weather continues the following day and we watched a C&RT work boat being filled with puddled clay adjacent to the boat lift. I asked the operatives if there was a problem on the canal and they told me that there was a leaking run-off sluice near Whatcroft Hall further along the canal. After breakfast we set off for the sanitary station to fill-up the water tank, get rid of our rubbish and empty the toilet. Whilst the water tank was filling I took the toilet's cassette to the sluice room and was horrified to discover that the stainless steel sluice was nearly overflowing with what I can only describe as bilge water and soil! Plan b then... there is a manhole cover behind the sanitary station and after lifting the cover, emptied to cassette down it before rinsing it by flushing the ordinary toilet in the station. As we set-off, two C&RT work boats came around the corner from the direction of Marbury Park and I informed them of the blockage. We were told that it would be reported and added to their "to do list" (nice to know that I am not the only person to possess one of these "to do lists"!) We left the sanitary station behind and cruised through the leafy Marbury Park which offered a bit of relief from the hot sunshine. Whilst passing Orchard Marina we noticed that all the boats were moored on the main line of the canal whilst work was being undertaken on the drained marina.

Orchard Marina drained

At Broken Cross the new canalside housing development opposite the pub was nearly completed. The finishing touches were being made to the houses that some lucky owners would soon be moving in to. There even looked to be space for moorings there... We'd have one!

The new housing development at Broken Cross nearing completion

Soon we were mooring in Billinge Green Flash. This lovely, popular location is usually full of moored boats but there were only three other boats here and we managed to get our preferred mooring. The paintwork on the boat was so hot that it could not be touched for any period of time. Ange sheltered beneath the brolly and Ruby benefited from having a towel wetted with cold water draped around her to keep her cool. Afterwards, she found a nice bit of shade to lie in.

nb Squirrel moored at Billinge Green Flash

Ange (wearing her "Vera" hat) relaxing in the shade at Billinge Green Flash...

...and Ruby chilling in a nice, shady spot

Sunset at Billinge Green Flash

Next morning we set off after breakfast and soon saw the three C&RT maintenance boats moored were the leaking sluice was located. Some of the puddled clay had already been applied to the leak with more to go. The boys were working hard to keep the canal open. Once at Middlewich before entering the Big Lock we ducked beneath the temporary foot bridge erected to replace the permanent bridge whilst it was being refurbished. We also noticed that the Big Lock public house was scaffolded, boarded-up and looking forlorn with a "lease for sale" sign outside. With the possibility of a closure at the back of our minds, plus a none too promising weather forecast for the following week, we decided to turn around at Middlewich and retrace our steps, just in case the canal needed to be closed.

Lock gate at Big Lock, Middlewich

That evening we decided to have a beautiful M&S quiche for tea. When cooked I started to take the quiche out of the oven and it tipped onto the glass oven door. I managed, with some help from Ange, to rescue part of it onto a plate but the remainder slid down the gap between the glass door and the oven opening onto the floor. Guess whose piece that was. The five second rule came into play and all I can say is that our kitchen floor is so clean that you could eat your dinner off it! It was, non-the-less, very tasty.

After breakfast the following day we set off in more beautiful sunshine. We cruised along one of my favourite stretches on the T&M, past a fallen tree not far from Bramble Cuttings and before long reached the location where the C&RT crew were working on the leaking sluice.

Fallen tree not far from Bramble Cuttings

The scale of their work confirmed that we had made the right decision to turn around as, in addition to the three work boats there were two maintenance vans parked a little way down the canal and even more operatives working away.  After passing we were safe in the knowledge that we would not be stranded if the leak became worse. At Lostock Gralam we saw a heron on the canal bank with its wings outstretched as it basked in the sunshine. I am not sure if it was drying its wings after a dunking or keeping cool in the heat.

Heron basking at Lostock Gralam

We carried on to Anderton, visiting the sanitary station on the way. I was pleased to discover that the Elsan disposal blockage had been cleared and after filling the water tank we carried on around the corner where we moored for the night. It was still very hot and after tea we bought more ice creams from the ice cream boat again...they were much appreciated!

Leaving the sanitary station behind at Anderton

The next morning was a total contrast to the previous day. It was overcast, cool and as we set off it started to rain. We only got as far as Anderton Road Bridge where I stopped the boat beneath the bridge and put on my waterproof trousers, jacket and Barmah hat. We passed through Barnton Tunnel and timed our arrival at Saltersford Tunnel perfectly. On emerging from the tunnel it had stopped raining and we were greeted by bright sunlight. Needless to say, the waterproofs came off and it was not long before we were at Dutton Stop Lock. After negotiating the stop lock we had a fifteen minute wait for Preston Brook Tunnel... just enough time for a cup of coffee. We were now back on our home waters of the Bridgewater Canal and planned to stop for the night between Daresbury and Moore... by the old Anderson Shelter (which is deteriorating quickly now) and we had arranged to meet Lisa on her way to Walton.

Remains of the Anderson Shelter near Moore

Ange chatting to Lisa and her mum near Moore

After a quick chat, Lisa and her mum were on their way and as the sun was still shining the Leica came out for an airing. Ruby and I went for a walk over the bridge and into the adjacent field before returning to the boat for tea. The sky then started to look threatening and thunder storms were forecast. And thunder it did. First came the rain with a tumultuous downpour followed by thunder... no lightning just the sound effects. Ange joked that her mum would be closing the curtains, turning her TV off as she hates thunder. We watched the storm which lasted well over an hour before going to bed with rain pattering on the boat's roof.

Corn Field at Daresbury... taken on my Leica D-Lux 3

Sunshine and rain at Moore from the side doors...

...and a few minutes later, tumultuous rain during the thunder storm

The rain continued the next morning so the waterproofs were donned again. As we were on the Bridgewater Canal with its wide bridges the umbrella came out as well. A quick stop was made at the convenience store adjacent to the canal at Moore for milk and bread then we continued in the rain towards Lymm. The rain accompanied us for most of the way to Lymm but there were sunny spells as well. On reaching Lymm, we stopped at the Lymm CC Clubhouse to empty the toilet before carrying on to Agden. We didn't go straight to our mooring but went onto the water point to load some of our stuff into the car. We considered going further up the canal for a couple of days but, with such poor weather forecast we decided to return to our mooring after a damp end to our 2020 Summer Holiday Cruise.


Timetable for our 2020 Summer Cruise

Friday 19th June 2020 - Stayed on Agden Moorings - Lin & Alan Savage's Golden Wedding Anniversary
Saturday 20th June 2020 - Stayed on Agden Moorings - pre-Father's Day visit from Mike and Amy

Sunday 21st June 2020


Agden Moorings near Lymm to Dutton Breach Moorings

Monday 22nd June 2020 


Dutton Breach Moorings to Anderton

Tuesday 23rd June 2020 


Anderton to Billinge Green Flash

Wednesday 24th June 2020 


Billinge Green Flash to Middlewich

Thursday 25th June 2020 


Middlewich to Anderton

Friday 26th June 2020 


Anderton to Moore

Saturday 27th June 2020 - Moore to Agden Moorings
Sunday 28th June 2020 - Stayed on Agden Moorings

Epilogue to Summer Cruise 2020

We were really looking forward to our 2020 Summer Holiday Cruise but the Covid-19 Corona Virus outbreak put paid to our plans. As mentioned at the start of this chapter, 2020 is the 60th anniversary of my first canal holiday and I was looking forward to revisiting some of the places we passed through in 1960 but, it was not meant to be. Never-the-less, we enjoyed our abbreviated cruise even though Ange and Ruby did not like the extreme heat that we experienced. I am writing this the week after we returned home and I have to say that the weather forecasters were correct in their predictions. We definitely made the right decision to come home when we did. Maybe next year we can try again to reach Stourport... we shall just have to wait and see if these plans come to fruition... fingers (and everything else) crossed! When we did arrive home I ordered a Black and Decker USB Portable Air Cooler and a Rotek USB Mosquito Zapper from Amazon to help making future voyages more comfortable when the weather turns hot.

Squirrel at Moore at the end of our 2020 Summer Cruise


Click to return to Contents


Chapter 3 -  Canalmanac 2020 Part 2

Regular readers might remember my writing about Ken Thomas... the Old Tramp of Moore a while back. Well, the week after we returned from our Summer Cruise I was contacted by Stuart Allen... a local historian in the Moore/Daresbury area, requesting copies of the photographs that I took of Ken's memorial at Moore in 1985. Stuart informed me that they were going to reinstate the memorial in the shape of a plaque attached to either the wall adjacent to where he sheltered beneath his umbrella or to nearby Moore Bridge. He also asked if I would like to unveil it. Well... I was flattered and agreed to do so when the date was finalised... most probably August or September. In the meantime, to refresh your memories, I have included some details below regarding Ken.

On the wall of the Red Lion Pub at Moore, as well as some rather good, old monochrome photographs of the Bridgewater and Manchester Ship Canals was a commemoration to Ken Thomas the Tramp aka The Old Man of Moore. Ken was a friendly, intelligent man who dropped out of society of his own will. He sometimes slept in the nearby Anderson Air Raid Shelter but could usually be seen huddled beneath his umbrella, and was always willing to catch the ropes when we were mooring close by. We always offered him a cup of tea in return and have a chat until he died of pneumonia in March 1984. He is remembered and missed by the more experienced, older boaters on the Bridgewater Canal. I was given permission to reproduce the painting of Ken below and also the poem entitled "The Old Man of Moore" that was written about him by Mrs Marjory Pike; also of Moore. Around the corner, just before Moore Bridge, was a memorial placed adjacent to the wall where he sheltered beneath his umbrella. It was placed there by the locals to the memory of “Ken the Tramp”. Sadly, the original memorial became overgrown and has since been lost.

A painting depicting Ken the Tramp at Moore

A sketch entitled "The Old Man of Moore"


The Old Man of Moore

Some things leave impressions in our minds for all of time,

On recalling they're so vivid like the pungency of wine,

Through the years I will remember the first time I ever saw,

The canal and boatman and the Old Man of Moore.


There he'd laze away the hours man and nature so at one,

Not for him the homely comforts, spurned they were, that life was done.

Large umbrella now his shelter, crooked arm his head to rest!

But to him he's found his haven like the bird high in its nest.


Children came each day to see him and the boatmen knew him well

As he fished beside the water, oh what stories he could tell!

Starry nights and frosty mornings, wind and rain and summer gone!

He would while away the hours lost in thought till day is done,

But I'm sure in times afar off telling tales of days of yore

I'll remember my encounter with that nice old man of Moore.

Marjory Pike (Mrs)

(Reproduced by kind permission of P Burdell - The Red Lion at Moore)

The location of Ken's Memorial and a close-up of the memorial itself

The remains of the Anderson Air Raid Shelter where Ken would sometimes sleep

More details of Ken's life can be found at... and more information regarding the Anderson Air Raid Shelter can be found in The Duke's Cut section of this website and at The date and details of the plaque unveiling, probably in August or September, will be posted on this website when they have been confirmed.

Two weeks after we returned from our Summer Cruise we went up to Agden and planned to meet Wendy and Paul at Little Bollington. As we travelled along the M56 the weather became increasingly worse and what started off as intermittent drizzle ended up as heavy rain. Once on the boat we decided to wait until the rain ended so chilled-out until tea time then cruised up to meet our friends in bright sunlight. We moored just after Little Bollington Underbridge and after a catch-up over a cuppa we had our tea.

Our mooring not far from Little Bollington Underbridge

We were later joined by Ange's son Mike who stayed for a couple of hours before leaving for home. I saw him to the underbridge and, on my return to the boat Ange received a telephone call from him. "I've just heard a noise and it's not a bird!" Ange stayed talking to him on the phone until he reached the Swan With Two Nicks where he had left his car. I said to Ange that it was most probably the horses in the adjacent field (which is exactly what it turned out to be when we were discussing it a few days later). On the Sunday, Paul and I went for a walk to the Bollin Aqueduct... site of the breach in 1972.

The site of the 1972 breach at Little Bollington...

...and the same location today

I wanted to walk down the path and take photographs of the embankment and aqueduct from below. I had previously photographed it from the other side of the embankment but not from this side. We clambered down the embankment and when we reached the bottom the aqueduct's arch was obscured by the foliage. I should have brought my drone to take photographs from the middle of the river. I had taken my selfie-stick with me which doubles-up as a long-reach arm for situations such as this. It is only when you are down at the river level that you realise just how high above the surrounding landscape the canal actually is.

The height of the aqueduct can be judged from this photograph

The arch of the aqueduct hidden in the foliage

With the photographs taken we returned to our boats. Wendy and Paul had a family meal planned that evening so turned their boat around and headed back to Agden. We followed suit shortly afterwards and left for home a little later after a nice relaxing weekend.

When taking photographs whilst the boat is moving can be sometimes problematic. Especially if a forward facing photograph is required without any of the boat impinging on the image. I had an idea that if an action camera with remote control was mounted in the boat's foredeck, photographs could be taken whilst steering at the other end of the boat. High-end cameras such as the GoPro Hero or the Insta 360 One (complete with Leica lens and sensor) are too expensive for what would be occasional use but a compromise between price and performance was found in the miniscule CamPark X20.

The miniscule CamPark X20...

...and well protected in its waterproof housing

Featuring a 20 megapixel Sony Exmor sensor and chip set, 4K video recording, waterproof housing, remote control and WiFi connectivity at under £50 it promised to be exactly what I was looking for. As I still had some Christmas and birthday money left plus an Amazon gift voucher from Father's Day I ordered one from Amazon. An added bonus was that if I wrote a review about it for Amazon I would qualify for selecting a free CamPark accessory. One of the first photographs that I took with the X20 are shown below. I have shown if full size and cropped to illustrate the quality that it is capable of and I must say that I was impressed. Consequently, I am now looking forward to taking some "serious" photographs with this latest addition to my photographic equipment "arsenal".

An un-cropped photograph of the River Mersey taken on the CamPark X20...

...and a cropped version of the same photograph illustrating the quality the X20 is capable of

Another purely self-indulgent purchase was made in the shape of a Riva Aquarama remote-controlled model boat. I first became aware of Riva Aquarama speed boats, featuring twin Lamborghini V12 engines, whilst on holiday in Italy 2010. I saw them on Lake Garda and Lake Como where they are built. In a Como town toy shop was a remote-controlled model of an Aquarama but at that time I could not justify the €65 price tag.

A Riva Aquarama spotted on Lake Como

Nigel Foster admiring the Riva Aquarama r/c model in Como Town circa 2010

I accidentally (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) came across a similar model on Amazon for a reasonable price and I still had an Amazon voucher left so I took the plunge and ordered it. Considering that it was dispatched from Italy it didn't take long to arrive and I can't wait to try it. I just have to figure a way to attach the CamPark X20 to it now!

Ange's son Michael was buying a new car (Mercedes C63S AMG Convertible) and asked her to accompany him to Watford to collect it. I was going up to the boat with Ruby the same Friday and Ange was being dropped off the next day. When I arrived at the mooring my first job was to fill the stern gland greaser and when this was done we cruised down to Lymm to empty the toilet. That evening there was another spectacular Agden sunset just begging to be photographed.

Another spectacular Agden sunset

We had purchased a Black and Decker air cooler/humidifier and a Rotec mosquito "zapper". They are both USB powered and the existing USB sockets do not deliver enough current for the air cooler and the zapper obscures the TV whilst it is charging. Accordingly, I decided to fit a new twin USB socket beneath the port gunwale in the lounge. I took a 12 volt electrical feed from the refrigerator supply to prevent excess voltage drop and fed the cables through the trunking to beneath the port side shelf and up to the socket's location. The new dual socket works well and has a higher current rating than the existing sockets so I am now going to replace the existing sockets with the same type.

The new USB sockets beneath the port side gunwale in the lounge and the mosquito "zapper"

With my jobs completed I chilled out and waited for Ange to arrive. Later, I received a telephone call from her to say that she was feeling breathless and suffering from chest pains. Michael was taking her straight to our nearest A and E at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral so I packed everything up and headed for home. After dropping Ruby off at home I was about to leave for the hospital when Ange phoned to say that she was being kept in overnight and that I couldn't come to see her as the hospital were not allowing anyone in except for patients. She was kept in hospital for over two weeks having been diagnosed with pneumonia and heart failure and hopefully, can now put this enforced medical interlude behind her.

With Ange being in hospital and then recuperating we didn't go up to the boat until the August Bank Holiday weekend. We arrived at Agden on the Saturday lunchtime and chilled out after a busy morning shopping. On the Sunday I cut the grass and brambles on our mooring before having visitors in the shape of Lin and Alan Savage. We drove to the Red Lion at Moore for a meal with Wendy and Paul Savage which was most enjoyable. Wendy and Paul had been away on their boat for the preceding week and were due to return to our moorings the next day.

Lymm on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday

The combine harvester working in the field...

...and the resulting crop being loaded into a trailer

On Bank Holiday Monday we cruised down to Lymm at lunchtime to empty the toilet and on our return to the mooring we saw a combine harvester working in the field adjacent to the mooring. Wendy and Paul arrived late afternoon and I finally managed to give my Riva Aquarama remote controlled boat its christening voyage. I was most impressed with the speed even  though the model doesn't possess two Lamborghini V12 engines! After a catch-up and a cuppa we packed-up our stuff into the car and made our way home after an enjoyable, relaxing weekend.

My Riva Aquarama model doing more than 4mph on the canal...

...and yours truly at the controls

(Photograph - Angela Wood)

Two weeks later there was a work party at out Agden moorings to cut back some of the foliage around the car park. When we arrived I installed Ange, Ruby and Yoda (Ange's son's Brussels Griffon dog) who we were looking after for a couple of days, on the boat and then joined our friends on the work party. We had finished by lunchtime and chilled out until teatime when a barbeque was planned. We had an enjoyable evening catching-up with the latest news from our friends and the Club.

Cropped hedge in Agden Moorings Car Park

Ange and Yoda

View from the side doors at Agden

Bonfire and barbeque at Agden

The next morning we chilled out and later an unusual boat went past. It was a tug-style narrowboat with a butty stern and flexible hydraulic pipes connecting to the ellum (tiller) which indicated that a hydraulic drive unit was attached to the tiller beneath the water. This would give provide good manoeuvrability, directing the thrust from the propeller in the same direction as that of the rudder and might even allow the boat to reverse in a straight line.

Tug-style narrowboat with butty stern...

...and a close-up of the rudder showing the hydraulic drive pipework

The day turned out to be really hot and was possibly the last hot day of the year that we would have on the boat so we made the most of it, sitting out in the sun and chatting to our friends. Even Yoda had a good time and made some new friends. We left for home at tea-time and were sorry to have to leave on such a beautiful day but some of us had work the next morning... more is the pity! 

A couple of weeks later country was in the grips of a second wave of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. We managed to have a socially distanced Lymm CC Committee Meeting at which it was decided to have the first full Slipway magazine since April. We were also starting to make plans for our 2020 Autumn Cruise. We originally thought of cruising along the Bridgewater and Leeds and Liverpool Canals to Burscough then turn right down the Rufford Arm to Tarleton. Not long before we were due to go on the cruise the areas that we were due to be cruising changed their COVID-19 (Coronavirus) status and it would mean that we were cruising into high-risk areas. Plan B was to cruise in the opposite direction into Cheshire and try to make for Audlem on the Shroppie. A possible stoppage at Hack Green Locks caused us to change our plans yet again and turn right at Barbridge to head towards Bunbury... Plan C then!

To be continued In Canalmanac 2020 Part 3


Chapter 4 - Autumn Cruise 2020

We arrived at Agden for the start of out 2020 Autumn Cruise on the 24th October. I brought the boat up to the water point and we transferred the food, clothes, etc. from the car to the boat whilst the water tank was filling. Paul and Wendy had already arrived and before long we all set off. First stop was at Lymm CC Clubhouse to show our faces, empty the toilets and check on the progress extending the slipway steel track. Whilst we were there Mooring Officer Alan Savage volunteered nephew Paul to tow a Dawncraft Dandy from Ditchfield Bridge Moorings to the other side of Preston Brook Tunnel. The boat had been purchased by the Wooden Canal Boat Society to be refurbished and then sold to generate funds. After leaving Lymm we set off in bright sunlight, stopping briefly at Ditchfield Road Bridge to collect Miranda and carry on to Stockton Heath where we moored for the night.

Trees at Stockton Heath displaying their Autumn colours

Next morning also dawned bright and sunny so after breakfast we set off towards Preston Brook. Passing through the wooded cutting at Walton Park we were cutting a swathe through the leaves floating on top of the water. We stopped occasionally due to a build-up of leaves causing the propeller to be "leaf-bound". A blast in reverse usually flushed the leaves away allowing us to continue. Even though it was bright and sunny there wasn't much heat coming from the sun so a thick jumper, jacket and woolly hat ensured keeping warm.

Adreva towing Miranda at Moore

Yours truly steering on a cool, autumn day

Adreva and Squirrel moored by Morris Minor Bend...

...for a socially distanced cuppa

We timed our arrival at the tunnel just right to catch the 12:30pm  passage. Once through Dutton Stop Lock Miranda was unhitched and its custodian moored it whilst we carried on to just before Morris Minor Bend where we stopped for lunch and a socially distanced cuppa. After lunch we set off again and cruised along the Vale Royal section of the T&M before mooring for the night just before Saltersford Tunnel. The weather the following day was pretty much the same as the previous day. After passing through Saltersford Tunnel we came across the C&RT work boat Gowy across the canal near the entrance to Barnton Tunnel.

C&RT workboat Gowy now securely moored by Barnton Tunnel

A quick stop was made to pull the boat back to the side of the canal and re-tie its mooring ropes. Job done we set off through Barnton Tunnel and made a brief stop at Anderton Services  before cruising through Marbury Park. A flash of electric blue signalled a kingfisher darting from tree to tree and was the first of many that we were to see in the week that followed. Work on Orchard Marina is still on-going and did not seem to have progressed much since the summer. Construction work is also on-going at Tata Chemicals Lostock Gralam site where a new energy generating plant is being constructed. 

Rudheath Turn

Moored at Middlewich

Next came one of my favourite stretches of the northern T&M from Billinge Green Flash to Middlewich. Just after the flash, work was under way on the railway bridge which will be instrumental in the construction of the HS2 Phase Two Western Leg railway line whose route is nearby. We were accompanied by another kingfisher and before long reached Middlewich. We passed through Big Lock and moored for the night in the town before a trip to the Morrison's supermarket for essentials. The locks at Middlewich were manned by C&RT volunteers who, the next morning, helped us through the flight in record time. By the time we were at Wardle Lock though the weather had taken a turn for the worse and it started to drizzle... the type that seems to soak you through to the skin if waterproofs are not worn. Whilst rising in Stanhope Lock Ange took a photograph of algal growth patination on the lock walls showing. It was the kind of photograph that I would have taken and certainly warrants inclusion here.

Algal growth patination on a lock chamber wall

(Photograph - Angela Wood)

After the paddles were opened in Stanhope Lock I was surprised to see detergent froth forming at the boat's bow. We used to see this frequently on the main line of the Shroppie in the 1960's when the out-flow from a water treatment plant near Wolverhampton contained a high concentration of detergent. The soap suds as I called them were especially prevalent when the centre top gate paddle was opened and on occasion would completely envelop the boat

"Soap suds" rising to the gunwales in Stanhope Lock

The rain persisted as we passed through the Cheshire countryside but I kept dry by wearing a waterproof cape which covered me as well as the tiller handle. Every so often Ange would open the sliding hatch and thrust a steaming hot cup of coffee into my hands which was much appreciated. Later, the rain eased off but as we approached Minshull Lock it started again. At one point the rain was blowing across the fields sideways yet the rain was blowing straight on. The squall ended as quickly as it started when we were exiting the lock. Strange weather indeed! We moored for the night at the Sykes Hollow moorings, about a mile downstream from Venetian Marine and Cholmondeston Lock. The rain had made the ground extremely muddy necessitating muddy paws having to be washed and wiped when returning to the boat after a walk. There is a café at Venetian Marine and we were looking forward to having breakfast there the following morning. Accordingly, the following morning, after our first cup of coffee we set off and moored opposite, walking across the bridge to have our breakfast... needless to say, it didn't disappoint.

Venetian Marine

With our breakfast completed we returned to the boats and set off through the lock towards Barbridge Junction. At the junction we turned right towards Bunbury noticing that the housing development where the Jolly Tar public house was located is now fully completed. We were now cruising on a stretch of canal that I first travelled along sixty years ago. On the whole, the canal had not changed over this period. Just past Bridge 103a C&RT were renewing the edging of the canal that was suffering subsidence.


C&RT workboats near Calveley

A call was made at Calveley Services then we continued to the winding hole just before the staircase locks. We moored for the night half-way along the visitor moorings approaching Calveley. With no rain and the sun threatening to shine we left our overnight mooring early next morning. Paul and Wendy left after us and we planned to meet-up at Middlewich. As we retraced our route the rain made an unwelcome return and accompanied us most of the way to Middlewich. The C&RT volunteers were not on duty but even so it was not long before we were mooring were we had done so a couple of days previously.

Camouflaged Ruby at Middlewich

Not long after we moored we received a phone call from Wendy saying that Paul had fallen at the locks and hurt his wrist. I immediately went to their assistance and when I arrived at the bottom of the locks Paul was sitting on the aft deck of Adreva clutching his wrist. An ambulance was not available so a taxi was sent to collect him and Wendy and take them to nearby Leighton Hospital. In the meantime, I started their boat's engine and took it around the corner to where we were moored. When it was closer to the time we thought that they would return I made sure that the fire on their boat was well stoked-up. Four hours later they returned with Paul's broken and dislocated wrist and arm in plaster. 

Paul with his arm strapped up and in plaster

With Paul being handicapped, next morning I helped him with his daily engine checks, started the engine and made sure that everything was ready for the day's cruise. As we were waiting for Big Lock, Ruby decided to pay the new café located on the ground floor of the pub a visit. She must have been impressed as she did not want to leave. Once through the lock the drizzle started and accompanied us on and off all day although the sun did try to break through the cloud on occasion.

Wooded cutting near Saltersford

We made good time and moored at the Dutton Breach Site Moorings for the night. We were graced with a colourful sunset and everywhere was dry when we awoke the next morning. Whilst I was taking Ruby for her early morning walk I notices that a tree had fallen down, blocking the towpath and part of the canal. Paul rang C&RT to tell them but the call centre wasn't open until later.

Dutton sunset

Fallen tree at Dutton blocking the towpath and part of the canal

We made an early start in order to catch the 09.00 Preston Brook Tunnel passage. As we entered the tunnel it started to rain and, coupled with gusty wind accompanied us all the way back to Lymm where we arrived early afternoon. But it wasn't all doom and gloom as we did have a couple of sunny intervals. We stopped at Lymm CC’s Clubhouse to empty the toilet and rubbish and have a quick catch-up with our friends who were busy working on the slipway renovation then carried on to Agden. We moored on the water point so that we could load our stuff into the car and then I put the boat on our mooring, put it to bed and headed for home. Sod’s Law dictates that on the way home the sun shone for the entire journey.

Cutting a swathe through the floating leaves at Thelwall

Leaving Oughtrington returning to our mooring


Epilogue to Autumn Cruise 2020

The trials and tribulations of Ange being in hospital plus the added complication that the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) has had on our lives meant that we were most certainly ready for our week's holiday and Autumn Cruise. I have never seen so many kingfishers on a single cruise... maybe the time of year and damp weather were contributory factors in their frequent sightings. We enjoyed the cruise although the weather could have been a little kinder to us as I do not think that there was a single day that we did not experience some kind of precipitation. Even so, I did manage to take quite a few photographs where the sun is shining and providing some half-decent light to illuminate the autumn leaves.

Sunny interlude near Whatcroft Hall on the T&M Canal

2020 is the sixtieth anniversary of my first canal cruise and it was good to cruise at least some of the canal route that we travelled along in 1960. Most of this section was exactly as it was then, the biggest change being at Calveley where the old British Waterways depot and the later shop has been replaced with a service block complete with showers and pump-out facilities... something that would most certainly been appreciated in 1960! Let's hope that Paul's wrist heals soon and I am sure that Wendy will ensure that he is not too handicapped by it.

Timetable for our 2020 Summer Cruise

Saturday 24th October 2020 - Agden Moorings to Stockton Heath
Sunday 25th October 2020 - Stockton Heath to Saltersford
Monday 26th October 2020 - Saltersford to Middlewich Above Big Lock
Tuesday 27th October 2020 - Middlewich Above Big Lock to Sykes Hollow near Cholmondeston
Wednesday 28th October 2020 - Sykes Hollow to Visitor Moorings between Bunbury & Calveley
Thursday 29th October 2020 - Visitor Moorings between Bunbury & Calveley to Middlewich Above Big Lock
Friday 30th October 2020 - Middlewich Above Big Lock to Dutton Breach Site Moorings

Saturday 31st October 2020


Dutton Breach Site Moorings to Agden Moorings

Click to return to Contents


Chapter 5 - Canalmanac 2020 Part 3

The week after our return home the country was thrown into Lockdown 2.0. We would have to winterize the boat at the earliest opportunity just in case we are not able to whilst in lockdown before any freezing weather occurred but Ange was suffering with her health again so I didn't want to take any risks travelling up in the wet or cold weather so the first decent weekend day... Sunday the 22nd November we travelled up to Agden. When we arrived I cleared the aft deck self-drainage channels which had clogged-up with leaves, topped-up the antifreeze in the engine and central heating system, emptied the freshwater tank, then Ange emptied the food cupboards, removed bedding and items not required over the winter. Once satisfied that we had not forgotten anything I removed the aft deck dodger then fitted the aft deck winter cover. After a quick catch-up with our friends Wendy and Paul who were also emptying their boat we headed for home in the weak, wintry sunshine.

nb Squirrel with the aft deck winter cover in place

I previously mentioned the commemoration plaque for Ken Thomas aka The Old Man of Moore. Local historian Stuart Allen contacted me in the week to let me know that the plaque was finished and awaiting being attached to the wall at Moore adjacent to where he used to live beneath his fishing umbrella. We arranged to meet on the canal towpath at Moore on Sunday the 29th November to install and unveil the plaque. Accordingly, we arrived along with Paul and Wendy and met Stuart along with a few local history enthusiasts. The plaque was attached to the wall and I said a few words of dedication watched intently by a robin perched on the wall. Everybody present was impressed with the plaque and we hope that it will be appreciated by canal and towpath users alike for many years to come.

Moore Bridge on a grey, late November afternoon

Yours truly saying a few words at the unveiling of the Ken Thomas Plaque to the wall at Moore...

(Photograph - Angela Wood)

...and the finished article

Local historian Stuart Allen besides the plaque...

...and Ange and Ruby with local history enthusiasts plus Wendy and Paul Savage from Lymm Cruising Club

And so Canalscape Book 16 is drawing to a close after what can most certainly be classed as a different year. On reflection, and I am sure that I am not alone when I say that due to the  Corona Virus (Covid 19) pandemic, 2020 didn't really happen and most of it is best forgotten (except for a few notable exceptions). Let's hope that 2021 sees us all Covid-free and is a better year for everyone and canal cruising in general.

Just in case this is the last 2020 entry Ange and I would like to wish readers a Merry Christmas and a happy, COVID-19 free New Year

(IWA Worsley Packet House Christmas Card by Dave Gardham)


Click to return to Contents


Canalography 2020

Our Canal Cruising Experiences and Milestones During 2020

05/02/2020 - Ange & I accepted back onto Lymm CC's Committee... Ange as Quartermaster & me as Magazine/Website Editor
08/02/2020 - Visited Longdon on Tern Aqueduct & Norbury Junction with Paul Savage
03/03/2020 - Ange presented with Canalscape Trophy @ LCC March Monthly Meeting for her "Nosy Cow" photograph
10/03/2020 - Entered lockdown due to Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic
20/03/2020 - All Lymm CC cruises, slipway bookings, meetings @ social events cancelled due to Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic
13/05/2020 - Relaxation of Government's Covid-19 (Coronavirus) regulations allowing visits to boats (C&RT's interpretation of the regulations)
19/06/2020 - 2020 Summer Cruise to Middlewich
24/10/2020 - 2020 Autumn Cruise to Bunbury
05/11/2020 - Entered lockdown 2.0 due to a "second spike" in the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic
22/11/2020 - Emptied freshwater tank, topped-up antifreeze & prepared Squirrel for winter
29/11/2020 - Unveiled the Ken Thomas Commemoration Plaque at Moore
Lymm CC Cruises & Work Parties Attended During 2020
08/03/2020 - Attended Lymm CC's Opening Cruise by car to take photographs
14/03/2020 - All Lymm CC Cruises, Meetings & functions cancelled  until further notice due to Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

Click to return to Contents



The story most probably continues in...


Book 17

Canal Cruising 2021

Finances, health, and time allowing!


Click to return to Contents

or select another book below...



Click here for the latest entries or on the required section in the Contents below to follow links

So You Want To Go Canal Cruising?


 Book 1 - 1959 to 1982

 Book 2 - 1983 to 1999

 Book 3 - 2000 to 2005

 Book 4 - 2006 to 2007

 Book 5 - 2008 to 2009

 Book 6 - 2010

 Book 7 - 2011

 Book 8 - 2012

 Book 9 - 2013

 Book 10 - 2014

 Book 11 - 2015

 Book 12 - 2016

 Book 13 - 2017

 Book 14 - 2018

 Book 15 - 2019

 Book 17 - 2021

Our Boats
nb Squirrel
Canals on Screen
Photography Introduction
Photographic Experiences
Canalscape Gallery

Diarama Gallery

Photography in One

The History of Lymm Cruising Club

The Duke's Cut - The Bridgewater Canal

The Big Ditch - Manchester's Ship Canal

Shroppie - The Shropshire Union Canal System (In Preparation)

The Manchester and Salford Junction Canal
Mersey Connections (In Preparation)

Wonders of the Waterways

2011 Gardner Engine Rally Report

Foreign Forays - Canals of the World

Worsley Canal Heritage Walk

Castlefield Canal Heritage Walk

The Liverpool Docks Link

nb Total Eclipse

Don't Call it a Barge

Canis Canalus

Footnote and Acknowledgements

Site Map
Go to the
e-mail link -


"Canalscape" and "Diarama" names and logo are copyright 

Updated 21/01/2021